Thursday, January 4, 2018

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman



Pratchett and Gaiman are both authors whose works I've been interested in for some time now and want to become more acquainted with. When I found a book that both of them wrote together, I just had to check it out. I'm very happy to say, my expectations were met in spades. This cheeky book of the apocalypse is just what I needed and I'm sure others would enjoy. Let's begin.

Crowley is a demon and Aziraphale is an angel and both of them have been living in the human world and, to their surprise as much as anyone else's, they've rather come to like it. So when the time comes for the Apocalypse to begin and the Antichrist comes to earth, they do what they can to try and prevent it, lest Aziraphale loses his beloved bookshop and Crowley his classic car.  But the forces of oncoming doom cannot be stopped forever, especially after the duo learns that they'd spent eleven years with the wrong Antichrist and the real one is wondering around and English suburb called Tadfield. The Horsemen are drawing nigh, supernatural events are taking place, and the nice and accurate prophecies of Agnes Nutter, witch are about to come to pass.

For a book about the end of days, I have to say this is one of the most hilarious books I've ever read. It's that dry, cheeky British humor that I just love from beginning to end. While Crowley and Aziraphale are the shining stars of the story, the entire cast is just fantastic. There's the Witchhunter Sargent and the Witchhunter Private, Newton Pulsifer, descendant of Thou-Shalt-Not-Commit-Adultary Pulsifer, who burned Agnes Nutter herself, causing her to explode. The Four lesser-known Horsemen of the Apocalypse; Grievous Bodily Harm, Cruelty To Animals, Things Not Working Properly Even After You've Given Them A Good Thumping and Really Cool People. You see what I'm talking about? This witty almost nonchalant approach to the end of days is just a riot and I loved every bit of it.

As one might have expected from two of the most popular British writers ever, the writing is just perfect. The voices of the two blend perfectly together in the story. Gaiman's fantastical yet dark elements blend wonderfully with Pratchett's unbridled imagination. They take these seemingly horrific events taking place during the end of days and make them comical.  The characterizations of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse was probably my favorite detail. The writing on them was just fantastic and, for two authors who are known for writing particularly awesome characterizations of Death, this version most certainly doesn't disappoint. He might have been my favorite part.

Even the Antichrist in this story isn't some terrible being or unholy force to oppose...he's an eleven year old boy. As such, you can kind of follow his thinking. When he beings thinking about the end of the world, he thinks of it like a kid would. That dead whales and pollution are the worst possible things ever and the world should just start over. He thinks and acts very much like a kid, a relatable kid, and so you don't get mad at him when his thoughts are what's going to cause the world to end. Humanity is a big theme in the book, exploring the good and the bad and what it means to live in the world. When he comes to a conclusion about what he wants to do, I won't spoil anything, but I liked where they ended up going. Everything falls into place and I thought it was fantastic.

Final Verdict
Just wonderful! Absolutely loved it. I can't wait to read more books from Pratchett and Gaiman, I adored the characters and that wonderful humor, and so this book is going straight onto the Shelf of Recommendation!

Have you read the book? What did you think? Comment below and share your thoughts. Please make sure to Follow Midnight Readings for instant updates. Have a book you'd like me to read or would like to make a recommendation? Contact me on goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/65448711-michelle-beer

Next Time: The tragic tales of the Sisters Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment