Saturday, October 20, 2018

The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures by Aaron Mahnke



Lore is one of only two podcasts that have successfully gotten my attention and kept it (the other being My Favorite Murder). Author Aaron Mahnke does a spectacular job finding the oldest tales and finding the origins of stories that we've known our whole lives. So, when I heard he was putting several of the episodes into book version...shut up and take my money!

This volume of The world of Lore features on creatures and monsters. Now, these can be anything ranging from the first American vampire, Spring-Heeled Jack, ghosts, creatures in the dark forest, even the same cursed doll that inspired the Child's Play franchise. Each tale is full of historical facts along with legends, recognized formulas as well as inspirations behind those legends. In this book you learn that the line between reality and the supernatural is a whole lot thinner than you'd think and there may even be some cases where you can't find it at all.

I've always loved learning about the supernatural and myths and legends. This stuff is totally up my alley. Having read a lot about this stuff back in my school days, I was excited to see some familiar stories popping up as well as fresh new ones to inspire the imagination. This book is such a good Halloween read. It's not only creepy, but the research and actual historical fact makes it that much more unnerving. You learn about what it really was that inspired fear which, in turn, inspired the horror genre altogether. Also, these stories are creepy. He ends some of the stories on these gloriously, ominous notes that leave you double checking the dark corners of the room and wondering if you're too old to sleep with the light on (don't judge me....).

One thing I really liked in particular is that these stories have the feel of just a normal person talking. Mahnke's voice is very strong in the book, as is his sense of humor. He adds little quips and jibes that are perfectly timed throughout the story and makes it feel more relatable. It translates well in the podcast as well. It feels like these are lessons taught in class with that likable teacher all the kids hope they get at the beginning of the school year. You can feel his passion on these subjects and he wants his audience to have fun with it as he does. You learn and enjoy yourself all at once. It's just amazing.

Now, taking a quick trip to nitpick town before we wrap up. If there's any problem with the book it's that it is, really, word-for-word, the episodes of the podcast. Now, this didn't bother me any, personally. Having something material I can flip through to find my favorite story rather than sift through hours and hours of audio is nice for me. Someone already a fan of the podcast might be looking for more than just the same stories all over again, as well as the lack of atmospheric music and Mahnke's narration. But, as I said, super nitpick mode that really didn't bother me and, by all means, shouldn't bother you.

Final Verdict
I totally and completely love Mahnke's work on Lore and want to do my part, as a fan, to share it with the world. If you're interested in the books or the podcast, please do check them out, because these suckers are going straight onto the Shelf of Recommendation!

Have you read the book? What did you think? Comment below and share your thoughts. Please make sure to Follow Midnight Readings for instant updates. Have a book you'd like me to read or would like to make a recommendation? Contact me on goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/65448711-michelle-beer

If you would like to read my book, Powerless, you can find it at:

Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Powerless-Shelley-Miller/dp/1543482546/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519062043&sr=8-1&keywords=powerless+by+shelley+miller

Xlibris: https://www.xlibris.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-001175242

Next Time: Worst...house party...ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment